Friday, November 16, 2012

Palm Beach Tan Advertising


I always have an eye out for advertising that participates in active stereotyping. We have learned throughout this class that the media falls short of inclusion and accurate representation of all people, women and minorities get the short end of the stick in advertising. Women are solely used as an object of desire. We have learned that sex sells, and marketers use women to sell sex throughout the industry. Recently I was at Palm Beach Tan and saw this ad:

This ad pictures a boy and girl who seem to have tan skin, that’s not what jumped out at me. The girl in this picture is holding a teddy bear and a toy spin wheel and appears to be very shy and dependent on this strong man. Although I did just go in for a tan, this advertisement was very offensive to me. Most of the ads for Palm Beach tan use women as sex objects, so you would think this would be a little bit better, but it’s not. I find if very offensive that the female race is depicted as so weak in this photo. Not only is she seen dependent on a man, but also she is depicted as more of a child, holding toys. When women are the main consumers of their product, I don’t understand why the company would go out of their way to demean them. Sure, I might be the only woman who walked into Palm Beach and thought of this advertisement as demeaning, (I have this class to thank for that,) they lost me as a customer, whether they intended to or not. This affects me because, even when I am trying to do something as simple as tan, I see advertisements than demean my success and portray me as weak. Women have a hard enough time as it is gaining respect and fulfilling success. We already have a number of advertising that portray us as an object of sexual desire, we don’t need more advertising portraying us a weak and childlike. Advertising should focus more on not being gender specific. 




No comments:

Post a Comment